Step 1 - CPR-number, health insurance card and choice of family doctor

The CPR-number gives you the right to use the Danish health care system.

When you register online, please have the following documents ready for upload:

• Passport
• Proof of your social security number from your home country
• Proof of your address in Denmark e.g. a rental contract
• Marriage certificate, if you are married - even if your partner is not accompanying you
• Children's birth certificates, for any accompanying children under 18
• Divorce certificate, if you are divorced
• Death certificate, if you are a widow(er)
• Documents on legal custody, if you are not married to your child's other parent

Your documents must be in Danish, English or German.

For your subsequent appointment at Citizens’ Services, please bring the receipt you get from your online registration and the original documents mentioned above.

About 14 days after your entry has been registered by Citizens' Services, you will receive a yellow health insurance card by post which carries your Danish CPR-number (social security number). You are advised to always carry your yellow health insurance card with you as you will need to use it when contacting your doctor, hospitals and dentists.

Has your entry in Denmark been registered with Citizens' Services before? 

Then you already have a CPR.number, and you should therefore not register online.

However, you still need to book an appointment at Citizens' Services, in order to register your entry. You can register if your stay is longer than three months and must register if it exceeds six months. 

Please bring the documents mentioned above. 








In order to register in Denmark and applying for your CPR-number, you need to bring: 
  • Your original passport / ID card + a copy
  • Proof of your address in Denmark (e.g. rental contract, letter from landlord) + a copy
  • Documentation of your Nordic social security number
If applicable:
  • Your original marriage certificate + a copy. You need to bring your marriage certificate even if your partner is not accompanying you. 
  • Divorce certificate / death certificate (widow(er)).
  • Original birth certificate(s) + copy (for accompanying children under 18 years)
Please note: Only marriage and birth certificates in English, German or Scandinavian languages are accepted. Translation must be done in a satisfactory manner. 
Marriage and birth certificates from some countries must be legalised or apostille certified (lav en henvisning eller skriv mere her). 

Health insurance card

Two to three weeks after you have been issued with a CPR-number, you will receive your yellow health insurance card by post (remember to have your name on your postal box).
Your CPR-number will appear on the card. 
You are advised to always carry your card with you as you will need it e.g. when contacting or going to the doctor or to the hospital. 

In conjunction with being registered with the national registration office you also need to choose a GP/family doctor.

Choice of doctor

When you register your move to Denmark you will be asked to choose a doctor. The doctor's name will appear on your yellow health insurance card.