Find information at on how the situation concerning the outbreak of COVID 19 (Corona virus) impacts your application for an EU residence document.

An EU residence document is your documentation that as a citizen from an EU-country, Iceland, Switzerland or Liechtenstein – or a relative to a citizen from one of these countries – you have the right to reside in Denmark.

The EU residence document, stating on which grounds you reside in Denmark (work, study, sufficient funds etc.) is issued by SIRI (The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration)

If you expect your stay in Denmark to exceed three months, you must apply for an EU residence document before the end of the three months.

As a national of an EU country, Iceland, Switzerland or Liechtenstein you are permitted to work as soon as you enter Denmark - even before you have applied for and received your EU residence document.

The EU registration document is not issued for a specific period of time (family members from a non-EU country are excempted from this). It is valid as long as the conditions on which it was issued still applies.

If you change your basis for residence during your stay in Denmark, e.g. from being a student to becoming and employee, you must apply for a new residence document.

If you change employers, this will not usually constitute a change to your basis for residence. The same applies if you are a student and change from one university-level course to another.

How to apply and what to bring

You must submit your application in person at one of SIRI's branch offices. In Aarhus the office is located at the International Citizens Service, at:

Åboulevarden 31, 1st floor

8000 Aarhus C

Opening hours:

  • Monday 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
  • Tuesday closed
  • Wednesday 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
  • Thursday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
  • Friday 9 a.m. -1 p.m.

From the link below, you can read more about how to apply, what to bring, case processing times, re-entering Denmark and any other questions you may have.

After receiving your EU residence document

When you have received your EU residence document, you can register your address, apply for a CPR number and obtain your yellow health insurance card. You can only be issued with a CPR number if you have an EU residence document.

Getting all paperwork done at once

Get your EU residence document, your CPR number, your NemID and your tax registration done all at once by visiting your local International Citizen Service. Students are exempted from this service. 


If you are applying for an EU residence document on behalf of your child when the child’s other parent will not be moving to Denmark, you must in addition to proving your relationship with the child, either prove that you have full custody of the child in the form of a valid decision regarding parental custody, or that the other parent consents to the move.

Consent can be given by the other parent either verbally, if he/she attends in person with you and the child when you register, or by providing written consent to a notary. If the consent is not in Danish, English or German, it must be translated into one of these languages in a satisfactory manner after it has been authenticated by a notary.