The international health insurance rules vary according to where you are travelling to, how long you plan to be away for and the purpose of your trip.

  • If you travel within Europe for less than a month, you are covered by the tourist health insurance scheme in most cases.
  • If you travel within Europe for more than one month or for purposes other than holidays or studies, you will need a European health insurance card (also known as the blue card).
  • Special rules apply if you travel in the Nordic region, Greenland, the Faroe Islands or in Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
  • If you travel outside Europe, or if the tourist health insurance card or the European health insurance card does not provide sufficient cover, you should think about taking out private travel insurance.
  • If you spend more than six months travelling, you normally lose the right to health insurance cover in Denmark.

Health insurance card

When you are covered by the national health insurance, you can register with a GP and receive a yellow health insurance card.


The health insurance card is documentation that you are entitled to the services offered under the national health insurance scheme. You must therefore always bring your card with you when you go for treatment.


You can contact Citizens’ Services if you need help or further information on national health insurance.

Children are covered by the health insurance scheme together with their mother or father until they reach the age of 15. However, children must have their own health insurance card. Children automatically receive a health insurance card when they are christened or named.


Once children are 15 years old, they are insured independently of their parents and are free to choose their own GP.

If you are staying in Denmark temporarily and are not registered with the national registration office, you are entitled to free treatment in the public health service if you suddenly fall ill. However, you will only receive free treatment which enables you to travel home.

If you are covered by public health insurance in an EU country, Iceland, Norway or Liechtenstein, you are entitled to emergency treatment in the Danish public health care service.