Once you have received your EU residence document, you must register your address and apply for a CPR number with Citizen Service (Borgerservice) in the municipality you have moved to.

As an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen you are entitled to register for a CPR number if your stay exceeds three months and you must register if it exceeds six months.

If you are moving to Aarhus, you must first register online and thereafter attend in person at Citizen Service at Dokk1 in order to get your CPR number and choose a doctor.

When you register online, please have the following documents ready for upload:

  • EU residence document from the The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI)
  • Passport or national ID with photo (must include your place of birth)
  • Proof of your address in Denmark e.g. a rental contract
  • Marriage certificate, if you are married - even if your partner is not accompanying you
  • Divorce certificate, if you are divorced
  • Death certificate, if you are a widow(er)
  • Birth certificate for any accompanying child under 18
  • Documents concerning legal custody, if you are not married to your child's other parent.

Your documents must be in Danish, English or German.

For your appointment at Citizen Service, please bring the receipt you get from your registration online and the original documents mentioned above.

About 14 days after your entry has been registered, you will receive a yellow health insurance card (sundhedskort) by post which carries your Danish CPR-number (social security number).

You are advised to always carry your yellow health insurance card with you as you will need to use it when contacting your doctor, hospitals and dentists.

Q&A - applying for a CPR number and receiving your yellow card

If you already have an administrative CPR number / a tax number, or have previously had a CPR number you should not apply for a CPR number online.

You must book an appointment to show up in person at Citizen Service (Borgerservice) to register your address and entry to Denmark.

You must bring certain documents for your registration.


No.You always need to have an appointment.

Please call us at +45 89401030 if you need help to book an appointment. If this is your first time applying for a CPR number you must have applied for a CPR online before you appear at Dokk1.

No. You need an EU residence document in order to have a CPR number.

If you do not have a Danish phone number, you can type in 8 digits e.g. your birthday or another combination you can remember.

When you arrive for your appointment with Citizen Service at Dokk1, you must type in the 8 digits at the check-in stand in the arrival area.

You need the reservation number to check-in when you arrive at Citizen Service at Dokk1. You have received an email containing your reservation number. Check your spam filter, in case the email is not in your inbox.

If you still can’t find the email please call Citizen Service (Borgerservice) at +45 89 40 10 30 or send us an email at folkeregister@aarhus.dk. Tell us your full name and the date and time you have booked the appointment. We will then find your reservation number in the system.

We can always find your online registration, if you bring your ID when you show up at Citizen Service at Dokk1. Please do not apply again.

You will automatically be registered as having left Denmark, on the date of departure you have provided us with. 

When you are registered in the Civil Registration System (CPR) as having left Denmark, you simultaneously lose your social security in Denmark.

It is therefore important that you contact us at +45 89 40 10 30 so that we can cancel or change your date of departure. 

When you show up at Citizen Service at Dokk1 to get the CPR-number, you need to bring the physical document (not on your phone) and tell us that you haven’t uploaded it, then we will do it.

No. The EU residence document is personal and only applies to you. You may find the rules and regulations for bringing your family to Denmark at newtodenmark.dk.


If you leave Denmark earlier than expected you must report your departure at lifeindenmark.dk using your NemID.


If you are staying abroad for more than six months, you need to report your departure at lifeindenmark.dk using your NemID.

If you are staying abroad for less than six month you must contact Citizen Service (Borgerservice) at +45 89401030.

If you have reported your departure it is registered in the Civil Registration System (CPR) and you must therefore follow these guidelines when you return.

You should also be aware of whether you need to reapply for an EU residence document from SIRI upon your return to Denmark before we are able to reregister you in the CPR system. 


If you do not have your name on your mailbox, the card will be returned to Citizen Service at Dokk1.

Come by Citizen Service to pick it up. We will keep the yellow card up to 6 months. If we no longer have your card, you will need to pay for a new one.


It is very important that your name is correctly spelled. Call Citizen Service at +45 89 40 10 30. We will make sure that you receive a new card with a correct spelling of your name.