You do not need an EU residence document, if you are staying in Denmark for less than three months. 


If you have any income during your stay, you need to register for a tax card and a personal tax number.

Exactly how much tax you must pay will depend on how much you earn and the tax deductions and allowances you are entitled to.

As a newcomer you are recommended to call the Danish Tax Agency (Skattestyrelsen) on (+45) 72 22 28 92.

You apply for a tax card and a personal tax number:

If you have completed the form in full and attached or enclosed the documents required, you will receive a preliminary income assessment (forskudsopgørelse) within two weeks. At the top of your preliminary income assessment, you will see your personal tax number.

If you have completed the form in full and attached or enclosed the documents required, the Danish Tax Agency will create a preliminary income assessment (forskudsopgørelse) and a tax card within two weeks. The tax card is part of your preliminary income assessment. The tax card contains information about your withholding rate, your monthly tax-free allowances and deductions. The tax card is sent directly to your employer. 

When you have received your NemID, please log on to the Danish Tax Agency's self service system, E-tax for individuals (TastSelv Borger) to complete your preliminary income assessment. Your information is used to determine how much tax you should pay. 

If you do not apply for a tax card, your employer will deduct 55% from your salary. 

If your stay exceeds three months

Then please inform yourself of what to do, following the stepguide for EU/EEA and Swiss citizens. Please inform your local Citizens Services, that you have a personal tax number, when applying for a CPR-number. 



Staying in Denmark for less than three months, you cannot register for a CPR-number.

If you need medical assistance during the three months, you need to use your blue European health card. 

However, you can apply to be enrolled in the Danish health insurance system, by applying for the Special health card. The card documents that you are entitled to public health care services without being a resident in Denmark. The card is issued by Udbetaling Danmark.

In order to apply you must: bean EU/EEA citizen living in an EU/EEA country but working in Denmark. The Special health card entitles you to use the Danish health care such as hospital treatment, medical care, reimbursement of medical products and dental treatment etc.

On the link below you will find more information and you can apply for the Special Health Insurance Card.